Package: imediff (2.2-1.1)
Links for imediff
Download Source Package imediff:
- Homepage [github.com]
interactive full screen 2/3-way merge tool
The imediff command helps you to merge 2 slightly different files with an optional base file interactively using the in-place alternating display of the changed content on a single-pane full screen terminal user interface.
The source of line is clearly identified by the color of the line or the identifier character at the first column.
The advantage of this user interface is the minimal movement of the line of sight for the user. Other great tools such as vimdiff, xxdiff, meld and kdiff3 require you to look at different points of display to find the exact position of changes. This makes imediff the most stress-free tool.
Other great tools for merge such as "diff3 -m ..." and "git merge ..." operate only on the difference by line. So even for the non-overlapping changes, they yield the merge conflict if changes happen on the same line.
The automatic merge logic of the imediff command operates not only on the difference by line but on the difference by character. This is another great feature of the imediff command. So for the non-overlapping changes, it always yields the clean merge.
This comes with git-ime script which helps you to split squished git commit using imediff and with a support script to use imediff as the backend of git-mergetool.
Other Packages Related to imediff
- dep: python3
- interactive high-level object-oriented language (default python3 version)
- dep: vim
- Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor
- or emacs
- GNU Emacs editor (metapackage)
also a virtual package provided by emacs-gtk, emacs-lucid, emacs-nox
- or editor
- virtual package provided by edbrowse, emacs-gtk, emacs-lucid, emacs-nox, fte-console, fte-terminal, fte-xwindow, jed, jove, jupp, le, levee, lpe, mg, nano-udeb, ne, neovim, scite, vile, vim, vim-athena, vim-gtk3, vim-nox, vim-tiny, vis, xjed, xvile
- rec: git
- fast, scalable, distributed revision control system