Package: netscript-2.4 (5.4.10)
Links for netscript-2.4
Download Source Package netscript-2.4:
Linux 2.4/2.6/3.x router/firewall/VM host network config system.
This is a router and firewall network configuration system. It is specific to the 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernel series. This system is in production use, even though this is an experimental version.
It offers much finer grained control of the network setup than the standard system in netbase, with support for bridge configuration, iptables, ip route and tc traffic control. It is optimised for use on high traffic routers with interfaces being reconfigured individually while the rest of the machine is routing traffic 24x7. Common boiler plate filter creation functions are provided to ease the task of constructing iptables filters in the context of operation within an ISP network.
Since this package is designed for a heavy duty network router, it is designed to work in conjunction with a routing daemon as found in the quagga package.
DON'T use this on a pure server - it is VERY useful for a Virtual Machine server with complex networking needs. This is because of its comprehensive network configuration capabilities. Thus it is a tempting replacement when you have to rip out NetworkManager on a server.
It was originally designed for dedicated routers and firewalls, and hence its lightweight scripting footprint. When it comes to firewall configuration though, have a look at the mason package if you are faint of heart.
Other Packages Related to netscript-2.4
- dep: bash (>= 2.03)
- GNU Bourne Again SHell
- dep: bridge-utils (>= 0.9.3)
- Utilities for configuring the Linux Ethernet bridge
- dep: init-system-helpers (>= 1.18~)
- helper tools for all init systems
- dep: iptables
- administration tools for packet filtering and NAT
- dep: netbase
- Basic TCP/IP networking system
- sug: dnsmasq
- Small caching DNS proxy and DHCP/TFTP server
- sug: quagga
- BGP/OSPF/RIP routing daemon
- sug: radvd
- Router Advertisement Daemon
- sug: resolvconf
- name server information handler
- sug: whereami
- Automatically reconfigure your (laptop) system for a new location
- sug: wicd
- wired and wireless network manager - metapackage
- sug: wpasupplicant
- client support for WPA and WPA2 (IEEE 802.11i)