Package: amanda-client (1:3.5.1-2 and others)
Links for amanda-client
Download Source Package amanda:
- Homepage [www.amanda.org]
Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver (Client)
Amanda is a backup system designed to archive many computers on a network to a single large-capacity tape drive. This package is suitable for large amounts of data to backup. For smaller solutions take a look at afbackup, tob, ...
Features: * will back up multiple machines in parallel to a holding disk, blasting finished dumps one by one to tape as fast as they can be can written to tape. For example, a ~2 Gb 8mm tape on a ~240K/s interface to a host with a large holding disk can be filled by Amanda in under 4 hours. * built on top of standard backup software: Unix dump/restore, and later GNU Tar and others. * does simple tape management: will not overwrite the wrong tape. * supports tape changers via a generic interface. Easily customizable to any type of tape carousel, robot, or stacker that can be controlled via the unix command line. * for a restore, tells you what tapes you need, and finds the proper backup image on the tape for you. * recovers gracefully from errors, including down or hung machines. * reports results, including all errors in detail, in email to operators. * will dynamically adjust backup schedule to keep within constraints: no more juggling by hand when adding disks and computers to network. * includes a pre-run checker program, that conducts sanity checks on both the tape server host and all the client hosts (in parallel), and will send an e-mail report of any problems that could cause the backups to fail. * can compress dumps before sending or after sending over the net, with either compress or gzip. * can optionally synchronize with external backups, for those large timesharing computers where you want to do full dumps when the system is down in single-user mode (since BSD dump is not reliable on active filesystems): Amanda will still do your daily dumps. * lots of other options; Amanda is very configurable.
THIS PACKAGE RELIES ON A RUNNING AMANDA SERVER IN YOUR NETWORK.
For important notes, see /usr/share/doc/amanda-client/README.Debian.
Explanation of suggested programs:
- gnuplot is needed for plotting statistics of backups
Other Packages Related to amanda-client
- dep: amanda-common (= 1:3.5.1-2+b2)
- Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver (Libs)
- dep: libcurl4 (>= 7.16.2)
- easy-to-use client-side URL transfer library (OpenSSL flavour)
- dep: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.31.8)
- GLib library of C routines
- dep: libreadline7 (>= 6.0)
- GNU readline and history libraries, run-time libraries
- dep: libssl1.1 (>= 1.1.0)
- Secure Sockets Layer toolkit - shared libraries
- dep: libxml-simple-perl
- Perl module for reading and writing XML
- dep: perl
- Larry Wall's Practical Extraction and Report Language