Package: netexpect (0.20-3)
Links for netexpect
Download Source Package netexpect:
- Homepage [www.netexpect.org]
Network Expect, a framework for manipulating network packets
Network Expect is a framework that allows to easily build tools that can interact with network traffic. Following a script, traffic can be injected into the network, and decisions can be taken, and acted upon, based on received network traffic. An interpreted language (Tcl) provides branching and high-level control structures to direct the interaction with the network.
Network Expect was heavily influenced and inspired on the Expect program written by Don Libes, which allows to "talk" to interactive programs in a scripted fashion.
The type of things that Network Expect can do are usually very low level network operations, which usually require writing a custom application in a language like C.
Some of the things that Network Expect can do include:
* Generate arbitrary network traffic and inject it into a network at layer 2 or layer 3.
* A wide range of protocols is supported, including 802.1q, ARP, Cisco VTP and DTP, GRE, IPv4, IPv6, ICMP, UDP, TCP (including options), etc.
This Network Expect functionality is very similar to the functionality provided by several packet crafting and forging open source tools like Nemesis, Packit, hping, Scapy, and others.
* Listen for network traffic and take decisions based on the type of traffic received.
* Open a sniffer trace in PCAP format and replay it after changing some values in the original packet capture.
* Emulate network protocols to see how they interact with other speakers of that protocol. For example, emulating a TCP server to investigate approaches to randomization of TCP Initial Sequence Numbers (ISN) can be easily done in Network Expect.
Visit http://www.netexpect.org for more information.
Other Packages Related to netexpect
- dep: libdumbnet1 (>= 1.8)
- A dumb, portable networking library -- shared library
- dep: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.24.0)
- GLib library of C routines
- dep: libpcap0.8 (>= 0.9.8)
- system interface for user-level packet capture
- dep: libwireshark2 (>= 1.8.0~rc1-1)
- network packet dissection library -- shared library
- dep: libwiretap2 (>= 1.8.0~rc1-1)
- network packet capture library -- shared library
- dep: libwsutil2 (>= 1.8.0~rc1-1)
- network packet dissection utilities library -- shared library
- dep: tcl8.5 (>= 8.5.0)
- Tcl (the Tool Command Language) v8.5 - run-time files